Site Investigation and Surveys
ESL has an extensive survey capability encompassing a comprehensive range of services supporting our design and engineering activities.
OLE Condition Surveys
ESL has undertaken detailed OLE surveys on a range of projects. These include those to existing electrification infrastructure – conditioning surveys to identify resilience also for newly constructed infrastructure – to ascertain installation compliance prior to entry into service and acceptance.
Other survey work includes
- Height and stagger surveys and geometry checks
- Dynamic performance, overlap setup and performance
- Clearance checks, including modelling wire sag and blow off
- Intrusive surveys using Mobile Elevated Working Platforms
Site Investigation Works
ESL has provided site investigation services on a number of OLE Projects in order to provide information for detailed design work. This includes:
- Undertaking trial pits to determine the extent of existing civil engineering assets to enable the design of OLE foundations and attachments
- Bridge inspections and the provision of STE04 Bridge Surveyors to determine the condition of existing bridges and suitability for OLE supports
- Core drilling and core sample testing to enable the allocation of suitable anchors and fixing arrangements
- Bore holes / window samples
- Dynamic Probe Testing
- Laboratory testing
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Surveys (UAVs)
ESL has used UAVs on a number of occasions to undertake OLE structure condition surveys and to gather topographical information. The use of UAVs has the obvious advantage of reducing the on track plant or scaffolding required to gain access to OLE infrastructure. It therefore eliminates the associated risk of working from height. Often the survey can be undertaken during day light hours without the need for a possession. This reduces the operational impact on the network.